A CCTV system to protect a home from acts of crime and anti-social behavior is now commonplace.
Everyone has the right to protect their property and they can install an alarm system and /or CCTV system. Remember any CCTV system installation should operate with respect to privacy of others.
A few considerations for privacy of others:
1. Select camera positions to minimise intrusion in to other people's property.
2. For minimal intrusion consider features like privacy masking and adjustable camera lens (vari-focal) .
3. If a camera is looking over your neighbour's property, then make them aware to avoid complaints.
4. Remember you are responsible for the recordings on your system and this must not be used for any other purpose other than protecting your property.
For guide to Data Protection acts, refer to:
1. Guide to CCTV code of Practice, Data Protection act 1998 (link to Information Commissioners Office).
2. Guide to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), act 2018 (link to Information Commissioners Office).